Andrew Grumet, Ph.D.
- VP Architecture at Mevio
- Software product builder
- MIT graduate and teacher
- MIT Press author
- Pioneering podcasting developer
- Hands-on manager, experienced team builder, evolving leader.
- Recent engineering projects:
|Amazon AWS Migration
||Organized website cutover to Amazon cloud with no downtime: 5 engineers, 80 EC2 instances, 350 pageviews per second.
||Led a team of 7 engineers to build out and scale up an online video platform that delivers hundreds of millions of media and preroll views through dozens of daily-programmed channels and multiple video ad management systems.
||Developed and maintained a video and advertising data warehouse that grows by ~5 billion rows per month, delivering near real-time analytics (30 minutes delayed) internally and to partners.
||Built a dynamic ad insertion system for MP3, that rotates ads into downloadable files without the need for hardware-intensive re-encoding, that has processed over a billion hits in its lifetime and handles ~500k per day.
||Leading a four person open source team, built the most popular podcasting application prior to iTunes 4.9, downloaded over 5 million times and localized to over 20 languages.
||With Martijn Venrooy, created an e-commerce Web application for creating specialized Windows and Mac application installers for Juice, carrying custom branding and pre-subscribed to selected podcast feeds.
||With Martijn Venrooy, created a Podcast remixer that lets users create customized podcast feeds and push recommendations directly to one anothers' media players. 6+ years of continuous operation, ~5k registered users.
Hands-on manager leading the software development and technical
operations teams building a broadband advertising and
entertainment platform. Responsibilities range from hiring to
team management to software development.
Sole proprietor consulting business, providing software services
to large and small clients, including:
- The Development Gateway Foundation, enhanced and
maintained a web-based multi-language economic development portal.
- MIT Sloan School of Management, developed and
maintained an educational intranet used daily by more than
1,000 members of the MIT community. Shepherded the system
through three major system upgrades, performing numerous
code merges between the system and its underlying open
- Warner Bros., provided technical infrastructure
for podcast promotion of the House of Wax movie. Hosted the
House of Wax RSS feed and provided a custom-skinned podcast
receiver (desktop software) built on Juice.
- Elsa Dorfman, portrait photographer.
Led web projects backed by the ArsDigita Community System (ACS).
Leadership responsibilities included: pitching new clients,
business requirements definition, SQL data modeling, system
design, and technical supervision of a 3-4 person team through
initial implementation, iteration and testing, public launch,
and ongoing maintenance and upgrades.
- The Development Gateway a multilingual web-based
knowledge sharing system that we built for the World Bank
Group. Implemented in Oracle SQL and AOLserver Tcl (ACS
v4.1), the Development Gateway supports community building
within topic areas by providing: content management tools
that designated guides use to moderate, highlight and
organize content; collaborative tools such as content
submission, commenting, bulletin boards, and email alerts
that enable users to work together.
- HP Image Services, a web-based system that we
built for Hewlett-Packard to support collaborative document
production (non-public site). Implemented in Oracle SQL and
AOLserver Tcl (ACS v3.0), HP Image Services provides
outsourced file storage, document production workflow, and
order generation and tracking for organizations that produce
PhD Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT.
SM Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT.
BS Electrical and Computer Engineering, Johns Hopkins University.
- Amazon AWS
- System architecture and scaling
- Web application development
- Web video and ad management systems
- MP3 and ID3 internals
- Data modeling
- Cross-platform desktop application development
- User experience design
- Multi-lingual application development
- Release management
- Data warehousing and ETL
- Linux administration
- Generic Unix (Linux, Solaris, HP-UX)
Team leadership, working with clients, teaching.
Analog circuit design, data acquisition systems,
electrophysiology, working knowledge of French.
Co-taught three-day source on Relational Database Management
System and Internet application programming (January, 2011 and
Co-taught MIT 6.171: Software Engineering of Innovative Web
Services with Philip Greenspun and Hal Abelson.
Responsibilities included: giving lectures, writing problem
sets, supervising student projects, and class
administration. (Spring, 2000, Fall, 2000, Spring, 2002 and
Dozens of hours leading Web programming training sessions at our
free "bootcamps" while at ArsDigita.
- Software Engineering for Internet Applications, MIT Press, 2006. With Philip Greenspun and Eve Andersson.
- "Beyond the RDBMS: the Brave New (Old) World of NoSQL", with Philip Greenspun (http://philip.greenspun.com/teaching/three-day-rdbms/beyond-the-rdbms)
- "Software Design Review", with Philip Greenspun (http://philip.greenspun.com/software/design-review)
- "iPodder Overview", self-published. (http://grumet.net/writing/programmer/syndication/ipodder.html)
- "RSS Powered Tivo To Do Lists", self-published. (http://grumet.net/writing/programmer/syndication/rss-powered-tivo-todo-lists.html)
- "Deep Thinking About Weblogs", self-published. (http://grumet.net/writing/web/deep-thinking-about-weblogs.html)
- "Adding Wireless Users to Your Web Service", ArsDigita Systems Journal. (http://web.archive.org/web/20060204233021/http://ccm.redhat.com/asj/wireless/)